The Best Time of Year to Elope in Minnesota
Tali April 14th, 2023
Minnesota is a gorgeous place for eloping year round, but when you decide to get married is going to play a huge part in how your day looks! That means that the best time of year to elope in Minnesota is all about how you want your Minnesota elopement to feel, what you what to do, and how you want it to look. In this guide, we’ll cover the pros and cons of each season, some helpful tips for each season, our favorite months, and everything you need to pick when to elope in Minnesota.
WHEN TO ELOPE IN MINNESOTA BY SEASON
Spring is a lovely time of year! Typically falling in the narrow window of late April through early June in Minnesota, spring brings new growth, flowers, and warmer days to the state. If you are looking to beat the summer heat and crowds or maybe for a mix of a greenery and a little snow, a Minnesota spring elopement might be right up your alley.
Spring is the best time of year to elope in Minnesota if…
- You want to elope in a popular place and are hoping for smaller crowds.
- You don’t want it to get too hot… or too cold.
- You want waterfalls gushing with water!
- You don’t mind the chance of a little snow, but want the sunshine to feel warm.
- You don’t want to have to worry about bugs like mosquitos or flies.
Some things to keep in mind when planning your spring wedding…
- Weather is always unpredictable, but Minnesota spring can be especially so. You could get a crazy May snowstorm or find yourself enjoying a sunny 80 degree day. It’s always an adventure!
- With all the snowmelt from the winter, some areas might be muddy.
Our favorite Minnesota spring month is May. By the time May rolls around, things are warming up and really feeling like spring. The chance of a rogue snow storm is seriously diminished and many of the trees and flowers are in full bloom! The trees are getting fresh leaves, which have a youthful green color that lights up the forest and all of the spring snowmelt means that the rivers, streams, and waterfalls are flowing beautifully.
Summer in Minnesota is absolutely magical. The state really comes alive for this beautiful time of year. Summer in Minnesota is best defined as June through early September and brings a buzz of excitement to the state. If you are looking for full forests, warm days, plenty of sunshine, and maybe a little dip in the water, summer in Minnesota is definitely for you.
Summer is the perfect season for your elopement if…
- You love lush, green forests, sunny days, and warm weather.
- You are thinking about doing some swimming on your elopement day.
- You want warmer nights to stay up and watch the stars (star photos anyone?!).
Some things to consider when picking a summer month for your Minnesota elopement…
- Crowds will likely be larger in most areas than during other times of the year.
- Depending on where you decide to elope, bugs might be something you need to consider with your planning.
Our favorite Minnesota summer months are…. Well, you really can’t go wrong with any month during the Minnesota summer! If you are planning on hopping in the water at any point, we recommend July or August, after the water has had some time to warm up, but beyond that you really can’t pick wrong when it comes to Minnesota summer.
My favorite season is always changing depending on my mood, but fall just might be my most common answer. Fleeting but unquestionably magical, fall in Minnesota is best experienced from late September through October. If you are looking for leaves of jaw dropping color as far as the eye can see, sweater weather, and pumpkin spice everything, a Minnesota fall wedding fits the bill.
Fall is the best time to elope in Minnesota if…
- You want stunning fall colors.
- You want more mild temperatures… warmer days and crisper nights.
- You want to be able to throw on a jacket, wear long sleeves, or heavier fabrics without getting too hot.
- The vibes of apple orchards, hot cider, harvest season, and sweater weather are in your dreams all year.
When planning a fall wedding in Minnesota, there are a couple of things to keep in mind…
- Crowds in some areas can be at an all time high with leaf peepers venturing out to catch the fall colors.
- Temperature swings can be pretty drastic. Will it be 80 degrees or 40? Who knows!
- Late fall brings a chance of early snow. The snow and fall colors can be beautiful together though!
Our favorite Minnesota fall month changes depending on what area of the state you are in. Fall colors start in the north and move south, extending the window you have for perfect fall colors. There are a number of factors that can affect when we get the best fall colors, but generally, in the northern part of the state (such as the North Shore of Lake Superior), early October is our favorite. The colors then travel south, making early to mid-October our favorite in the central and southern parts of the state. While it’s not an exact science, the different trees and undergrowth tend to change colors at different points, giving you a pretty good chance of finding beautiful colors throughout the entire fall season.
There really isn’t a hard line on the beginning and ending of winter in Minnesota. It can start early and last forever or it can start late and end surprisingly early. Generally, I would classify Minnesota’s winter to be sometime between November and March, but again, you never really know. If cozy vibes and snowy forests are your goal, I would recommend late December through early March for prime winter conditions.
Winter is the perfect season for your elopement if…
- You want all the cozy vibes.
- You love the look of snow covered trees (snow covered everything really).
- Hot chocolate, warm blankets, and cozy fires are a key part of your personality.
- The cold never bothered you anyway.
- You really want to beat the crowds and have the place to yourself.
Some things to watch out for when planning a winter elopement…
- Minnesota winters can be cold. Like below freezing (or even below zero) kinda cold.
- It snows here. While beautiful, big snow storms can impact travel and when extreme, might require a backup plan.
Our favorite Minnesota winter month is probably March, although anytime between late December/early January to March will likely be beautiful! By the time March rolls around, there is almost always snow, the temperatures are often more mild, and any snowfall is usually a bit stickier and clings to everything so beautifully!
If you are dreaming up your own Minnesota elopement or intimate wedding and are looking for the perfect photographer to photograph those precious memories, we would love to tag along and capture your story. Get in touch and let’s get rolling!